I may have mentioned our bed before (like here here and here), but I promised a process post and I wanted to make sure I delivered.
The entire room is not complete, but I am happy to report that the bed is done (except for pillows of course….a little color is coming)
I love how the room does not feel so monstrous anymore and our furniture now looks like it fits. And the couch does not look like it is swallowing the bed. For example-
Yeah much better.
And the best part….the bed cost less than $250 to build.
We are forever indebted to Ana at Knock-Off Wood for the plans (here). We used the Farmhouse Bed plans in the King size and a canopy with just a couple of adjustments. I have said it before, but she is a goddess for DIY’ers and we can’t wait to try out some more plans. Well I am at least….
Since we have a more modern and less rustic aesthetic in the master bedroom, we used a solid piece of wood with a little molding in the headboard and footboard instead of the slats.
I also had Derek raise the height of the footboard in order to combat the couch scale problem.
For the finishing, I debated between staining, painting and glazing. For a very long time. But since we had to use three different types of wood to get all the sizes we needed (we only could find 4x4’s in cedar) I was worried that the different grains would look different and wrong if you could see them with stain or glaze. So instead I went with old faithful- Ace Cabinet and Trim Paint in Cannonball.
First, I filled all the screw holes with wood filler and sanded it all down with an orbital sander and medium grit sandpaper. Then one coat of Zinsser 1-2-3 waterbased primer, two coats of the black and three coats of polyurethane (in satin finish) later we were complete. The next day we put our new mattress in and were enjoying our new bed.
Buying all the wood in the proper sizes (especially since I wanted some minor modifications) took some time at Home Depot, but I am happy to report that this project was a one tripper. The lumber is where we spent all the money of $250 since we had all the supplies and if we were successful in finding 4x4’s in something other than cedar ($$$) we could have probably saved another $75. And Ana was correct, the only tools we used were a drill, sander, tape measure, miter saw, level and nail gun (hammer would have done just fine if we did not have the nail gun).
So here is my view from my pillow on the new bed……ahhhhh.
Well if I was being honest that is the view up….unfortunately with the new furniture placement I look directly into the hideous and dated master bath. There is a reason that there are no pics of it on the blog. Think pink blinds, carpet, wallpaper and brass. Yum. You know what that makes me want to do…….