A while ago…actually a really long time ago…I asked everyone’s opinion about this little corner of the nursery and if we should refinish the dresser and use it as a changing table or make one ourselves.
I got some really great suggestions and in the end we decided to go the changing table route because I was worried the dresser was too long.
I did not want to spend a lot of money on another piece of furniture so Ana White once again came to our rescue with free and easy plans that included the capability of taking off the top when the baby got older and using it as shelves. Score. So Derek whipped it up in the basement. One positive about a flooded basement with no carpet….a lot more space to DIY. Who knew?
Then I made him carry it upstairs to make sure I liked the proportions before
we I spent the time finishing it.
Luckily I did. Whew.
So he carried it back downstairs. Originally I was going to finish it with both brown and white to match the dressers and crib that look like this.
But there was no good place to start and stop the white/brown combo without it looking funny so I just went with plain ole white in Ace Cabinet and Trim Paint.
I have to say that painting was the most difficult part of the project. Trying to get under those shelves when you have a big pregnant belly was a little challenging. I am sure I looked ridiculous but luckily no pictures of this feat exist. That I know of.
Anyway I used one coat of primer, two coats of paint and three coats of polycrylic since I am sure this thing is going to take a beating. Coming up with this:
But of course the changing table itself was not going to be the only DIY project.
It took me forever to find baskets that I a) liked b)were the correct color and c) fit. Many baskets were tried and returned. Finally I found the bottom brown baskets at Homegoods. Small problem was that they had lids and ugly liners. But after the lids were cut off and I used this tutorial from Make It and Love It to make some new liners, we were good to go.
Of course I could not follow the entire tutorial. I made the liner a little smaller and did not do the ties because I wanted a cleaner look. So they are a little snug, but I love how they look (and the fact I got to skip the tie step).
The other DIY project was this cute little fabric box to hold diapering essentials.
I used this tutorial from The Sometimes Crafter. (See a theme of being completely unoriginal and using everyone else’s ideas…it is either being really smart…or really lazy).
This one was my first attempt because I was not sure how the sizing would work in the space in the changing table. It was super easy and luckily for me it fit.
I am thinking about making some more with a different type of interfacing (I used heavyweight fusible on this one) to make it thicker as they will also look cute and be functional on the bookshelves.
So here is the changing table as it stands today. I am thinking about making some tweaks stylistically in terms of the pad cover and maybe three navy middle baskets instead of the light blue….and maybe a different fabric for the box.
But for now it is ready and functional. And cheap. And all washable. From what I hear that is important.