Details Details

I may have mentioned our bed before (like here here and here), but I promised a process post and I wanted to make sure I delivered.

The entire room is not complete, but I am happy to report that the bed is done (except for pillows of course….a little color is coming)
IMG_0781
I love how the room does not feel so monstrous anymore and our furniture now looks like it fits.  And the couch does not look like it is swallowing the bed.  For example-

Yeah much better.

And the best part….the bed cost less than $250 to build.

We are forever indebted to Ana at Knock-Off Wood for the plans (here).  We used the Farmhouse Bed plans in the King size and a canopy with just a couple of adjustments.  I have said it before, but she is a goddess for DIY’ers and we can’t wait to try out some more plans.  Well I am at least….

Since we have a more modern and less rustic aesthetic in the master bedroom, we used a solid piece of wood with a little molding in the headboard and footboard instead of the slats.
IMG_0787
I also had Derek raise the height of the footboard in order to combat the couch scale problem.IMG_0782
IMG_0786
For the finishing, I debated between staining, painting and glazing.  For a very long time. But since we had to use three different types of wood to get all the sizes we needed (we only could find 4x4’s in cedar) I was worried that the different grains would look different and wrong if you could see them with stain or glaze.  So instead I went with old faithful- Ace Cabinet and Trim Paint in Cannonball.

First, I filled all the screw holes with wood filler and sanded it all down with an orbital sander and medium grit sandpaper.  Then one coat of Zinsser 1-2-3 waterbased primer, two coats of the black and three coats of polyurethane (in satin finish) later we were complete.  The next day we put our new mattress in and were enjoying our new bed.

Buying all the wood in the proper sizes (especially since I wanted some minor modifications) took some time at Home Depot, but I am happy to report that this project was a one tripper.  The lumber is where we spent all the money of $250 since we had all the supplies and if we were successful in finding 4x4’s in something other than cedar ($$$) we could have probably saved another $75.  And Ana was correct, the only tools we used were a drill, sander, tape measure, miter saw, level and nail gun (hammer would have done just fine if we did not have the nail gun).

So here is my view from my pillow on the new bed……ahhhhh.
IMG_0785
Well if I was being honest that is the view up….unfortunately with the new furniture placement I look directly into the hideous and dated master bath.  There is a reason that there are no pics of it on the blog.  Think pink blinds, carpet, wallpaper and brass.  Yum. You know what that makes me want to do…….
Photobucket

Delayed Gratification

This weekend it looked like a small animal had started to make small, systematic burrows all throughout the garden. So should we start setting traps? Or set the dogs out on a hunt?


Actually we were the the culprits. Why? To plant bulbs of course. Tulips are on my top five favorite things about spring and you have to plant them in the fall in order to get the enjoyment in the spring.

I fell in love with tulips while we were in college. They planted millions of tulip bulbs every winter and the campus was covered with them in the spring. It made me so happy to walk around campus and know spring was coming.

Bulb planting used to be one of Derek's least favorite activities because honestly digging hundreds of tiny holes in heavy clay soil took forever. But this weekend we planted over 150 bulbs in less than a half hour. How? With these two tools-



The specifically designed drill bit for bulb was a life saver. Derek drilled the holes and I followed behind him throwing in the bulbs. Then we just covered it back up with dirt and start the countdown until spring to see all the pretty flowers pop up.


When we did it the old way, we used this thing. The soil just got stuck in it and we had to pry out with a stick.

After a particularly frustrating bulb planting session two years ago, Derek asked why we did not drill like the landscaping guys at college did when they were covering hills with hundreds of them. I assumed that the drill was a specialized piece of landscaping equipment not available to mere homeowners. But luckily for us we found it at our local hardware store for a couple of bucks. So this year, after just a half hour, our backyard beds were prepped to hopefully look like our front ones did last spring.




Photobucket