Looking around here lately, it appears like we have gotten away from our DIY roots and I have just been sewing(barely). Not so.
Back when Carter was tiny I was watching a whole lot of HGTV. He was a very slow eater and I did a whole lot of sitting.
David Bromstad did this cool wine bottle art installation on one of the shows…which gave me the idea for the top of our bar cabinet.
Now in perfect world, we would just have cabinets going all the way up to the ceiling and I would not have to worry about to put on top of them. But we don’t and I do.
This was a super simple DIY….first drink lots of wine and save your bottles. No problem there. Although I think some people who saw the bar during the “save the bottles” phase may have come to the conclusion that we have a drinking problem.
Then, to get the labels off, fill a bathtub full of hot water, add some cheap shampoo and soak them.
At least that is what David told me to do.
Some came off super easy and others took a little bit of scrubbing.
I initially envisioned straight rows of bottles lined up…but the wires for the lighting and the cabinet tops prevented that.
So instead we went with using some scrap wood to achieve different heights for the bottles.
After some arranging and rearranging we got this…
Or should I say this…
I think it adds some visual interest to the tops of the cabinet. For free. And since the labels are off, I think it makes it look less “college dorm room alcohol trophy” and more “classy display of bottles”. At least that is what I tell myself.
I also love how it looks when it is lit up at night.
I am toying with idea of adding this to other cabinets on the other side of the kitchen. It would be a whole lot of wine to drink, but I think we would be up for the challenge. I am not sure if it would be too much or make the room look we were trying for a wine theme. Which we aren’t.
So for right now I am just going to enjoy them on the bar cabinet. And continue to drink more wine….just in case we need the bottles.